16 Min Read |
Last month we released a case study on the marketing success of Harry’s, a online grooming company centred around creating affordable and bespoke shaving experiences.
Beardbrand, launched in 2012 by founder Eric Bandholz, is a similar direct-to-consumer brand but with a different mission – to change the way society views beardsmen by replacing negative stereotypes of being lazy or unkempt with a new perception of being classy, well-groomed and stylish.
In 2014, Beardbrand founder and CEO Eric Bandholz appeared on an episode of the reality television series Shark Tank, but unfortunately didn’t get an investment from the sharks. However, this did not stop the company going on to become a household name, and generating over $100 a month in revenue.
We’re putting the Beardbrand marketing strategy, and its various facets, under a microscope so that you can identify which of their tactics could be implemented by your brand to achieve a similar or greater level of success.
A Place to Belong
Nine years ago, as Eric Bandholz was gearing up to launch Beardbrand, facial hair was considered at odds with a professional image. Something for lumberjacks and survival hobbyists.
Eric recognized that unshaved and uncivilized need not be synonymous and, provided that a beard was well kept, it could be as valid in the professional setting as a tie pin or wristwatch. But his ambition didn’t stop there, Eric knew that to change people’s perception and get a loyal following, he needed to foster a community that appreciated beards and their upkeep.
Further, it was important to…
What is Beauty Business Journal?
Ideas. Frameworks. Community.
Today’s business owners, CEO’s, directors and commercial teams have only 1% of their entire week to dedicate to learning. They want knowledge from peers and experts, information from those at the forefront. They need to make every moment count.
The question: What are YOU doing with your 1%?
Inside Beauty Business Journal you’ll get access to industry knowledge and analysis delivered via weekly interactive emails, including data-led insights, deep-dives into key areas like technology, retail, marketing, strategy and media, plus a community of professionals just like you.
We’re building the beauty community of tomorrow, making it easier to learn, grow and connect with industry peers.
(*or equivalent £7/€8 per month)
(*or equivalent £72/€82 per year)
Save 16% if you pay annually
When you join Beauty Business Journal, you get instant access to the following:
- Podcast & Written Content. Instant access to over 3 years worth of thought leadership. We deep dive into the trends and topics that modern businesses are confronting daily.
- Processes/Frameworks: We share the most effective processes and strategies our team have studied and learned from over the years. Frameworks used by some of the most successful brands in the industry. Designed to help you create effective go-to-market strategies, build a stronger brand presence, convert more customers, improve ecommerce infrastructure – we share it all, so you walk away with actionable takeaways every time. (Think Charlotte Tilbury, Hero Cosmetics, Harrys, Beautyworld Middle East, etc.)
- Weekly Interactive Emails. Critical analysis on trending and popular topics in the beauty industry.
- Our Weekly Round-Up Email. Our weekly briefing, featuring agenda setting news & analysis.
- Beauty Business Journal Community. Connect with industry professionals like you in our Facebook group (Retailers, Marketers, Manufacturers, Distributors, Entrepreneurs).
- Ask Me Anything. We do open AMAs and then answer questions on the podcast.
- No Risk. No Commitment. It’s $10. That’s the equivalent of buying two coffees a month. And, our aim is to deliver more value than you’d get from a course or event you’d typically pay 10-20x that for. That’s our goal. Plus, you can cancel at any time.
Who is the Beauty Business Journal community for?
Our members are entrepreneurs, indie founders, commercial management within multinational organisations, sales and marketing professionals, venture capitalists, investors, agencies and consultants, from over 135 countries. They are serious professionals who have built brands or are on a journey to doing so.
Inside, you’ll have access to the resources and community you need to become a better business operator.
Join thousands of members like you gaining the edge with Beauty Business Journal, from companies including:
What People Say?
Frequently Asked Questions
How Can I Get My Membership Paid For?
We wanted to make it easier to get your Beauty Business Journal membership paid for by your company if you aren’t already. When you join, you’ll get a template that you can send to your manager or CFO so you can have your company expense your membership.
Can I Buy A Subscription For My Team?
Yes! Please fill out the form here.
Can I Give A Subscription As Gift?
Yes! Please visit this page.
Can I Switch To An Annual Plan?
Yes! Just go to your account page and select the annual plan. You will be charged immediately, and your plan will be extended a year from your existing expiration data (for example, if your monthly plan is set to expire on October 31, and you switch to an annual plan on March 15, your expiration date will be extended to October 31 of the following year).
Do You Have A Student Discount?
Beauty Business Journal is purposely kept at a low price — thousands of dollars less than other publications or newsletters — to ensure it is accessible to everyone, including students.
How Do I Cancel My Subscription?
We’d hate to lose you, but you can choose to deactivate your membership in your member profile. You can enjoy Beauty Business Journal for the duration of your membership, and it will be cancelled when it expires. If you cancel, there are no refunds for your existing subscription.
*Subscriptions are non-transferable. Login details and any Beauty Business Journal content may not be shared or reproduced. Please note that all subscriptions auto-renew monthly/annually (but can be cancelled at any time). To give Beauty Business Journal as a gift click here. If you are interested in ordering and managing multiple subscriptions for your team or company, please fill in the form here.
Updated March 2021